[LargeFormat] Re: fresnels

Skip Roessel largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 22 01:01:09 2003

As each little ring is cut with a slightly different angle to approximate the
rear surface of a condenser lens, making the master mould of a fresnel is not
too feasible in the home shop.  You need to visit your good friends at Edmund
Optics (www.edmundoptics.com) and pick one out.  I got a 16x20 fresnel for my
7x17 banquet camera and mounted it over the existing glass on my Korona with
velcro.  Works great, image is as bright as can be, if you're lined up while
viewing it.  'Course if you move to one side everything disappears.

They're all plastic, can be cut with a table saw, and are mounted outside the
ground glass, farthest from taking lens, so the GG depth remains true to the
film plane in the film holders. They scratch easily, though.  Anyone know where
I can get that non-scratch coating they put on plastic eyeglasses now?  I put
car wax on mine... better than nothing.

Big fresnels are also found in overhead projectors, now crowding eBay for $30.
Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2302924199&category=25322

If you buy one at auction, see if the seller will pop out the lens and send it
to you alone, scrap the rest rather than shipping a 30-pound machine to you.
skip

skiproessel@mindspring.com