[LargeFormat] a gritty day

Vincent Dobson largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 21 17:07:28 2003

It is strange this thread started just as I am now in the process of
building a facility for CXXXXX Vision they are renting space from xyz co.
xyz co did the inventing and R&D to develop machinery that injects optical
plastic in molds to manufacture eyeglass lens. CV manufacturers and markets
the machines to the labs.
Interesting process, but, expensive to develop, however once developed, the
per unit cost is drastically reduced as compared to the labor intensive
method of taking a hockey puck size disk of plastic (or glass) and grinding
down to a particular prescription.

small world.

Vince Dobson
Visions In Nature
www.VisionsInNature.com

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On
Behalf Of Les Newcomer
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 4:50 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] a gritty day

And that would be just to make the mould to inject the optical plastic!

I think this thread started with ground glass for Speed Graphics and if
you want to use one for a  Speed you have to be a little careful where you
put it.

Most Anniversaries and Some Pacemaker Speeds did use fresnel or "Ektalite
Field lenses" as Graflex called them.  The ground glass on a Speed is
loaded from the back, and if you installed a fresnel where there wasn't
one, you'll shift the ground glass out of position the thickness of the
fresnel.