[LargeFormat] Introductions, and query on macro

Mike Finley largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 21 12:48:16 2003

I'll pop my head up and say hello, too.

I've had an interest in photography on and off for a few years now. My first
camera was a Woolworths plastic camera, fixed focus, fixed aperture plastic
lens, shutter speed variable depending on how quickly you flicked the lever
across. Must have been in the late 50's. I then went a long span without a
camera until about ten to 15 years ago. I've got more interested since, and
have been actually using cameras fairly extensively over the last five years
or so.
I mostly use 35mm (Minolta Dynax) mixed colour slide and monochrome,
subjects landscape and floral. I have two 5x4 cameras as well - an unnamed
wooden field, and a Cambo SC2N, the latter seeing more use. Two lenses too -
Kodak Ektar 210, and Rodenstock Sironar 150 (old model). I'm trying my hand
at mono floral mostly with the 5x4 at present, and finding depth of field a
problem, and wondering too whether its time to get a new lens more suited to
close up - mostly using a cambo roll film holder, so barred from the f32
site! I count myself very definitely a beginner with large format.

Location is Cheshire, England. Can anyone in the UK recommend a supplier for
quickload/readyload film, and would this help with the endless problems I
have with dust?

It seems to me that I get better depth of field when using the smaller image
sizes of roll film; is this real, or does this get lost in increasing the
magnification in enlarging.

mike
http://www.efikim.co.uk