[LargeFormat] Introductions

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jan 19 00:26:01 2003

On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 08:12 PM, Bob wrote:

> 	I have tried that, the one that uses large format says he sends to a
> place that only accepts professional photographers

Then you just became a professional photographer. I've seen pro
photographers that were all hype and didn't know a thing about how to
shoot well.  Stick "photographer" or "studio" after your name and give
them a credit card and a box of exposed film and suddenly your a
photographer.

Re: quiet on the list.  everybody's telling what they are doing... soooo
My 6 year old daughter was on my lap and we were playing a computer game
when she finally noticed the handle above the knee hole on my (was my
grandfather's) roll top desk.  She pulled, but it didn't move. Then she
noticed the cracks in the desktop and the slanted board in the knee hole.
Her eyes grew big.

"Daddy can we clean off your desk?"  she said while I'm still trying to
get to the 105th level of Mega Mutilation. Her eyes had tipped her hand,
but was still working like a diplomat.

"I suppose, but we'd have to quit the game first", I said blankly.
Suddenly, just before I went into hyperspace the game died.
"What happened!!!" I exclaimed thinking the program had run amok.
" I hit "esc", now can we clean your desk?", in a tone normally reserved
for Donald Rumsfeld announcing the sudden jump to "code red + 2"

"Sure".

Within two minutes she had everything-- about a bushel-- off the desk.

"Now can we open the secret compartment???"

"Sure."... Now I'm enjoying this....

She carefully flips open the lid and up pops a very dusty, 1930s Champion
Underwood typewriter I had bought as a teenager (no, not new) and used in
college. The whole mechanics of the system suprised her.

I don't think a room full of Barbie toys and a week's vaction with the
Olsen twins would have put a bigger smile on this kid's face. The kid
squeeled and squeeked like a chimpmunk.
"Can we use it???!!!!!"   "What is it??!!!

So here I sit, with the mercury in the thermometer hibernating in the
bottom of the tube, watching my kid whack at a note to her great aunt on a
30s typewriter,  inside a teens desk,  in a house built at the turn of the
last century, and in the background, I hear my wife is watching an Andy
Hardy movie.....

"Daddy! this thing doesn't have a "1"!!!"
"....Where's the exclamation point?!"

There's no question about it.... I live in the past.

Les