[LargeFormat] Compur 00 (was Crown Graphic Movements(or lack of) ?)

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 13 10:54:03 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brock Nanson" <brock@nanson.org>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 11:13 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Compur 00 (was Crown Graphic
Movements(or lack of) ?)

> >   BTW, you will need a locking cable release if your SA
is
> > in the older Compur No.00 shutter, it has no T setting,
only
> > B. Only very early SA's came in these shutters.
> >
> > ---
> > Richard Knoppow
>
> This is exactly right.  This is in fact the model I own.
>
> You must have jinxed me Richard ;-) , because I was
unpacking my gear (this
> very afternoon!) to give it the once-over after returning
from Australia
> when I noticed some movement in the shutter assembly.  The
shutter speed
> ring was flexing away from the shutter body at the bottom
when the lens cell
> was given a slight amount of pressure.  The lens was kept
on the Super
> Graphic board with the cells attached, wrapped in bubble
wrap and stored in
> the middle of a Lowe Pro bag, so at first I thought this
might be a natural
> movement I hadn't noticed before.  It wasn't.  I removed
the front cell and
> tripped the shutter once and now one of the blades is
loose... :-(

> So, what do you guys think?  Should I send this to Steve
Grimes (any guess
> what sort of cost??) for repairs or look for a new (used)
shutter or simply
> flog the whole thing on eBay with the problem identified?
I have a friend
> with a Fujinon f8 90mm that he's thinking he'd let go for
$300 US or so...

> The lack of a 'T' setting has always been a nuisance, but
I've learned to
> live with it.  I've never had a reason to have misgivings
about this lens
> optically or mechanically until now.  In spite of its age,
I've never felt
> the lack of multicoating was a problem.
>
> Brock

  The shutter is held together by a retaining ring around
the lens mount. The ring is adjustable and is in turn kept
from turning by a very small set screw. Take the front cell
off the shutter and look to see of the set screw is missing.
They are hard to find.  If its missing the ring can be
tightened and locked down with a drop of Lok Tite at the
edge. You can tighten it with you fingers.
  I have the Compur repair manual but don't remember any
spec for how tight the ring should be. I tighten them
enough to give the detents on the speed ring a definite
feel. The speed ring will have a very slight play even when
adjusted right.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA