[LargeFormat] WWII signal Corp newsgroups

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 1 00:54:32 2003

The Graphic Combat camera used a rigid body and a helicalmounted
Anastigmat lens rather than sliding boxes. There was no rangefinder, Since
the lens was deeply recessed, there were thumb wheels/gears to drive the
shutter speeds and focus.  It's always been said that the combat was
derived from the ringside camera, but from looking at all of the aerial
cameras F&S made before during and after WWI I often wonder. The other
curiosity is that even extremely rare Graphic cameras show up sometime,
either at the Eastman house, or on ebay-- but have yet to see a ringside
camera anywhere except in Graphic Graflex Photography.  The Combat Graphic
made it in at  the end of the war and the ones left over were re-tagged as
a "Graphic 45"  not to be confused with the "Pacemaker 45" to come along
later.

 From what I've gathered the first Anniversarys for the military was the
Type C-3 as in "Camera, Ground, Type C-3"  and was straight off the shelf,
  we didn't have time to have a committee in DC think up silly specs and
certainly no time to paint anything green.  There is some confusion about
the "war time Speeds being all black" (there is always confusion and
contraction when dealing with Graflex)  From looking at the serial number
records and what Mr. Edward Reidel of Ottawa has done, it seems most of
the chrome disappeared in early '43, and yet I have a black Speed with a
very odd supermatic (with a Wolley Velostigmat no less) that was done, not
in smooth dull black laquer, but in wrinkle finish black--including the
optical viewfinder(which is metal not bakelite)that was built in Sept of
'41-months before Pearl.

The KE-12 was part of the PH-104 set and the PH-104 set does show up in
the records (but not KE-12).  The KE-12 was the first to go OD green,(I
believe) it was a side RF Pacemaker but without a side release on the body
and the back, while being a Graphlok, did not include the slide locks.

PH-47-H and E, and J
These seem to be off the shelf cameras, but couldn't descern any of the
variations. Which is my goal.

Then comes the C-6
http://home.twmi.rr.com/lnphoto/c6.JPG

which could easily be, from my uneducated eye, a PH-47

and then this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1948270276

Which looks like a common top RF Speed, but I noticed now there is no
governtment designation, ie Signal Corp, Navy,etc.  just US Government.
Does the AF part of the contract signify Air Force?