[LargeFormat] Serious Guide Numbers - Winston Link Approach

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 23 21:52:05 2002

At 18:12 23/12/2002 -0500, Stuart Phillips wrote:
>This is how I think a hafla should be lit!
>
>http://www.peterfetterman.com/artists/link/link_pic25.html

The guide numbers on your common or garden flash bulbs leave most strobes
in the shade. Mr Link's set up is supernova. In trying to work out why the
central part of the multiflash bulb reflectors are black, I can only come
up with the idea that maybe this caused more diffusion of the light,
avoiding the focused beam that would result from a completely silvered
reflector.

Flash bulbs still have their place in large format photography and Bill
Cress still supplies 'em http://www.flashbulbs.com/