[LargeFormat] 8x10 Wide Angle: Kowa 210mm, G-Claron 210mm, Protar Series V (was re:Lenses)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 15 22:42:01 2002

At 22:38 14/12/2002 -0700, Tim Atherton wrote:
>this is the LF mailing list Jim - there's an online discussion forum on the
>site (which I must say, I've not really looked at)
>
>PS - I just got a pristine Kowa 210 f9 for my 8x10 (a steal on ebay) - it
>seems like a little beaut. the lens groups fit in the Copal 1 shutter my 210
>g claron is in - it's actually slightly smaller than the Claron, so it's
>tiny. I'm testing it out, but it has a bit more coverage than the Claron
>(which is why I got it). It appears to just cover 8x10 @f16, give some
>movement at f22 and more above that, obviously. Supposedly very sharp, and
>usable over most of the image circle. At $90 + shutter, pretty pleased so
>far...
>
>Only problem so far, no filter threads - but there are ways around that.

Tim,

It would be interesting to find out how the Kowa lens compares in
performance for 8x10 to the G-Claron 210mm f9 which is a similar lens. I
would imagine that the coverage is fairly similar and that you would need
to shoot at f32 or smaller for coverage at infinity. The stated coverage of
the G-Claron 210mm is 260mm (probably at f22) which is a bit short of the
325mm needed to cover 8x10.

Is the spacing on the shutter the same as on the barrel? I have a 210mm
G-Claron that is a good fit in a Copal 1 and has the same spacing in the
barrel as the shutter - if the Kowa elements are smaller how well do they
fit in the shutter? At $90 the lens was a bargain so I would imagine you're
rather happy.

For wide angle 8x10 I use a Protar Series V. The disadvantage is that the
Protar is f18 so you need light (a lot!) to focus..... the advantage is
that it has a huge image circle at f32 and you can make full use of
available movements. There's also something rather satisfying about using a
venerable old lens on a wooden camera.