[LargeFormat] Light Tables and Boxes

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 15 15:36:01 2002

At 12:20 am -0500 15/12/02, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>Clive:
>
>Are you up early?  Or still up very late?  It's midnight here in
>Massachusetts.
>
>It must be what... about 5 AM in the old country?
>
>Thanks for the reply and yes it looks good on my light table.  Did I
>tell you about that?  I don't think so, so here it is:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1791095985#BID1?ViewItem&item=1791095985
>
>As you can see I bought it CHEAP. When I went to get it, and to my
>surprise and mild consternation,  the seller used his fork lift to load
>it into my small pickup truck.  At home my son, (21) and I couldn't lift
>it, so I disassembled it and we carried it into the house in pieces.
>
>My apologies if you've or anyone else has already heard the story.

Jim,

I was up very late - must be the flu medication! I did hit the hay by 5.30am

Great story about the light table, bit of a bargain - something you
can lean on and rest your beers on the edges without any worries. I
built a wooden version here that is about 30" x 12" - before Uncle
Dick asks how thin the wood had to be to allow the light through, it
has a opal plastic top :-)

The tubes are supposed to be near daylight balanced and so is the
opal screen. It seems to average out to provide a reasonable
approximation of daylight. Haven't checked it on a meter though.....
The light fittings and tubes came from a skip, the wood from offcuts
and the screen from an industrial supplier as an offcut. If 8x10
trannie film was the same price in the UK as it is in the US then I
would have had the delight of looking at one on the lightbox......