[LargeFormat] Film holder question

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 2 22:35:30 2002

the locks on the plastic film holders aren't a thread they are sort of a
knurl(actually concentric rings).  They are pressed in the plastic when
the plastic is warm and the plastic "heals" itself.  Thus they don't come
out. Once pulled out you'll be better off with a two part epoxy than paper
because you'll have to replace the plastic that held it in in the first
place. The problem with the epoxy is whether it will let the lock rotate
after it set up.

The suggestion that  they (the people who make all of the film holders in
the US) told me was maybe a warm or low temp soldering iron could move the
plastic back around the lock.  I bought several 5x7 film holders on ebay
and found that some masochistic dental trainee had ripped all of the locks
out.  I was able to aquire a few extra locks but have yet to find the time
to fiddle with that project yet.

Les