[LargeFormat] new portrait lens to my managerie

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sat Nov 2 23:22:23 2002

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

I'm off to the Michigan Photographic Historical Soceity's show in Novi
tomorrow.  I remember somebody mentioning it on the list and was thinking
of going (Uncle Dick?).  After the show I'm planning on building some
wrenches so I can remove the front cell without damage.  Maybe then I can
assess what it's really going to take to bring this back alive.

As to what camera these were used on, I believe they would have been of
the 8x10 Portrait variety, even thorugh it's designed for whole plate. The
thread diameter is 5.5 Inches so it would need a minimum of a 7x7 and
better on a 9x9 board. this is certainly not a field lens.  A friend of
mine has a Deardorff Portrait 11x14 and this for the article I think I
could get him to remove the Portrait Unar for a short period of time.
Once it showed up I contemplated how I would use it outside.  I decided I
would have to build or modify a camera so that the rigid front standard
was mounted not in front, but 8 or 9 inches back on the rails.  While this
doesn't releive the strain on the front board it would keep the camera
from toppling over.  I thought of simply adding a removeable set of rails
to the front of a B&J portrait, but the mounting point would take all the
strain on the bolts.  Also the focal lenght of 16" would increase the
overall length of any camera to 18" and probably 20". All in all, even
with 5x7 format, I would need one large, bulky, and sturdy! camera.

BTW I just checked my notes.  The 3B in the photo is a 14" f2 and cost
$500 in 1904. If I'm not mistaken that isn't a whole lot less than a
Curved dash Oldsmoblile or a Model A Ford from the same time.

Les