[LargeFormat] Max wideangle on Wista 4x5 DX III

Frank Filippone largeformat@f32.net
Wed Oct 9 09:50:09 2002

There is a trick that the LF guys use to obtain close front to rear standard
placement, and therefore claim better WA  lens capability.... they tilt the
front and rear LB down, then use the tilt on the tripod to tilt the
baseboard up to square up the optical paths... this puts the front LB INSIDE
the camera box.  It shortens the optical path for sure, but becomes a real
pain in the neck to get into that configuration and worse yet you have
limited movements because you have tied your bellows up into a knot just
getting the camera square.  The body thickness is what controls your
movements with these extra wide lenses.  The WIsta looks about the same body
size as the Wisner......

I used a Wisner 4x5 Tech field.  I used a 90mm ( F8 Super Angulon)  lens and
found that marginal when using any significant movements.  If the camera
were used straight on or with very limited rise, fall, etc...., I figure a
75mm lens would work well.  The Expedition is a smaller body thicknmess
camera and would probably acoomodate more movements for the same lenses.

Get a bag bellows ( $250 or so) and all these problems go away.  You could
use a 47mm lens with ease and some movements ( coverage issues put aside).