[LargeFormat] horse trading & some really dumb questions...

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Sep 14 21:14:01 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph O'Neil" <joneil@multiboard.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 8:54 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] horse trading & some really dumb
questions...

> A local university darkroom shut down,a nd i picked up a
bunch of items
> this past week.  The "prize", IMO, was a mint shape Goerz
red dot APO
> artar, 8.25 inch (210mm).
> No, I am not selling it.  :)
> Even though it is F9, they were using it on a large
process camera.  I
> later double checked witht he university, and although
they have not used
> it for a while, they made some pretty big maps with it.  I
am not sure, but
> I think this thing will cover 5x7 - more than enough for
my 4x5.

> Anyhow - here's my setup - I have a monorail and in that
case i use all my
> big lenses - a big 90mm Komurea, a big 180mm Rodenstock
and another 30mm
> Komura - all these lenses cover 5x7,a nd are big and
heavy.
> But - for my backpack, I have a spuer speed graphic,a nd
in there I have a
> 90mm angluon, a 135 mm Rodenstock, but nothign small in
the 210mm range -
> until now.
> True the lens is F9, but it is small, very small (I liek
small when
> backpacking), so I get home with my near gear - and this
is the really
> "kick ass" part that makes me happy - all my 40.5mm B+W
filters (that I
> have a minor fortune invested in), all these filters that
fit on both the
> Rodenstock and the angulon - they fit *perfect* on the
Goerz.    Bonus, eh!

> Now the downer - I have an old Polariod MP4 Copal press
shutter - a #1, in
> just perfect shape that I can use,a nd I am thinking
"yeah, cool, here I
> go" but no - bummer - you need a #3 lens for front mount.
No use sending
> my Copal shutter of to Mr. Grimes withmy lens, as it does
not have an Iris
> (but the lens does), so i would need a whole new shutter.
> I may go that way, but I thought I would try to find out
if anyone has a
> spare #3 shutter (any brand) lying around they would liek
to get rid of, or
> do some horse trading for.   I've been trying ebay, and
while it's a great
> place to sell, when you olyhave a dial up connection, you
always loose out
> at th elast minute bidding to fater connects.  And, a lot
of guys selling
> on Ebay will not shi outside hte USA.  Bummer there too.
>

> Second dumb question.  I also picked up a Bychrome vacmun
easel in great
> shape.  Problem - no vacumn pump.  The easel itsel fis in
mint shape.
> As an aside - itis totally bizzxare how some of the gear i
picked up looks
> like it has been through a war zone - such as the print
dryer, but other
> items look liek they have never been used.  Go figure?
>
> Anyhow, I was looking at the easel, and i got this really
weird thought -
> the hole to the attachment  for the vacumn looks exactly
the same size as
> for a ShopVac.  Seriously.  Has anyone tried hooking up a
shop vac to their
> vacmun easel?   I mean, a proper vacum pump & attachments
is a few hundred
> bucks, a brand new shop vac (quiet running model) is about
60 bucks.  The
> easel is great, will take 16x20 paper, so I am really
looking forward to
> using it, but Ijust want to know if my idea has merit or
if you all think I
> need to go back  ahome and start a prescription for
lithium.

> Next dumb question
> I have recently picked up two enlarging lenses.  Wellt he
first - i think
> is an enlarging lens.  It is Wray (made in England) 4",
F3.5  Any idea of
> the coverage of this sucker?  I still shoot some MF, and
this might be okay.
> The second lens I picked up (at a different sale) is an
older but
> excellent shape Componon enlarging lens, 180mm, chrome
barrel.   Currently
> I use  a 135 Componon I picked up used,andit is great for
my 4x5, but has
> anyone used a 180 componon for 4x5?  Iahve pleanty of
mounting caps & rings
> for my old Omgea D enlarger (which I also bought at the
same university
> many moons ago on a different sale), but thought i would
ask before doing so.

> Well that's it for now.  thanks much
> joe
>

> http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
> http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
> "Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"

  The 210mm Apo Artar will cover 5x7 but with not much over
for movements. The image circle of an Artar at infinity
focus is about equal in diameter to its focal length. The
coverage in the catalogue is around 47 degrees, but that is
for process work where the image quality at the corners must
be excellent. The coverage of this type of lens does not
increase with stopping down and gets bad very fast beyond
what is called the stigmatic point, that is the point where
the tangential and radial fields cross. For process work at
1:1 the image circle is twice the diameter it is at
infinity.
  Although Artars are optimised for 1:1 or near it they
perform very well at infinity. Some coma appears at the
corners but stopping down a little gets rid of it. My two
Artars, a very old one and a Red Dot are exceptionally
sharp.
  The older Componons are respectible lenses. 135mm is a
somewhat wide angle lens for 4x5, used where the column
hight of the enlarger is limited. The price is fall off of
illumination. I have a 135mm Componon-S and must burn the
corners of prints routinely.
  The 180mm lens will give you quite uniform illumination
provided you have a long enough column to use it for decent
sized prints. Where the projection throw is long enough a
180mm lens is superior to a 135mm for 4x5.
  You will have to be more specific about the other lenses.
Wray, for instance, made a large variety of lenses including
some special purpose ones. The name and _series_ are
important in identifying lenses. They should be marked on
either the front retaining ring or on the barrel of the
lens.
  If you have a lot of barrel lenses its economical to have
a single large sized shutter modified to that it will take
lens boards on the front. Then you can mount all your barrel
lenses on boards to fit. I've done this with an Ilex #5
Universal shutter. Most of my lenses are mounted on 4x4 inch
Anniversary Speed Graphic type boards. The big shutter fits
two 8x10 cameras, but I could use another lens board to fit
it to my 5x7 Agfa/Ansco. I have adaptors for other cameras
to take the 4x4" lenses so can use most of them on seven
different cameras.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA