[LargeFormat] horse trading & some really dumb questions...

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sat Sep 14 12:56:13 2002

On Saturday, September 14, 2002, at 08:54 AM, Joseph O'Neil wrote:

> 	True the lens is F9, but it is small, very small (I liek small
> when backpacking), so I get home with my near gear - and this is the
> really "kick ass" part that makes me happy - all my 40.5mm B+W filters
> (that I have a minor fortune invested in), all these filters that fit
> on both the Rodenstock and the angulon - they fit *perfect* on the
> Goerz.    Bonus, eh!
>
> 	Now the downer - I have an old Polariod MP4 Copal press shutter -
> a #1, in just perfect shape that I can use,a nd I am thinking "yeah,
> cool, here I go" but no - bummer - you need a #3 lens for front mount.
> No use sending my Copal shutter of to Mr. Grimes withmy lens, as it
> does not have an Iris (but the lens does), so i would need a whole new
> shutter.

Okay maybe you need a #3 to put the lens in font of the shutter, but a
#3 Copal is a big boy, and that violates the reason for the artar in the
first place.  On the other hand if you can get Steve to make an adapter
that slips/threads on to the front of the shutter without vignetting,
the shutter thread need only be large enough so that it slips over the
lens.  I have a Protar C set in barrel the lens diameter is around 1
.25"   When I need shutter speeds I slip a #1 Alphax that I stole from
an Oscillo raptar. It works very well and since I can get the blades
very close to the front element it doesn't vignette whether I'm using
the 5" lens or the 14" lens.

> 	Second dumb question.  I also picked up a Bychrome vacmun easel in
> great shape.  Problem - no vacumn pump.  The easel itsel fis in mint
> shape.
> 	As an aside - itis totally bizzxare how some of the gear i picked
> up looks like it has been through a war zone - such as the print dryer,
> but other items look liek they have never been used.  Go figure?
>
> 	Anyhow, I was looking at the easel, and i got this really weird
> thought - the hole to the attachment  for the vacumn looks exactly the
> same size as for a ShopVac.  Seriously.  Has anyone tried hooking up a
> shop vac to their vacmun easel?   I mean, a proper vacum pump &
> attachments is a few hundred bucks, a brand new shop vac (quiet running
> model) is about 60 bucks.  The easel is great, will take 16x20 paper,
> so I am really looking forward to using it, but Ijust want to know if
> my idea has merit or if you all think I need to go back  ahome and
> start a prescription for lithium.

No lithium, well maybe some lith grease on some parts, but shop vacs
work very well, just give yourself a place to regulate the amount of
vacuum so the motor can breathe once in a while.

> 	Next dumb question
> 	I have recently picked up two enlarging lenses.  Wellt he first -
> i think is an enlarging lens.  It is Wray (made in England) 4", F3.5

Smells like a Tessar.  Will cover 2x3 inches

> Any idea of the coverage of this sucker?  I still shoot some MF, and
> this might be okay.
> 	The second lens I picked up (at a different sale) is an older but
> excellent shape Componon enlarging lens, 180mm, chrome barrel.
> Currently I use  a 135 Componon I picked up used,andit is great for my
> 4x5, but has anyone used a 180 componon for 4x5?  Iahve pleanty of
> mounting caps & rings for my old Omgea D enlarger (which I also bought
> at the same university many moons ago on a different sale), but thought
> i would ask before doing so.

No.  Why?  Okay you might get more even light, but you'll be losing
enlarging capapbility.