[LargeFormat] horse trading & some really dumb questions...

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Sat Sep 14 11:51:09 2002

	A local university darkroom shut down,a nd i picked up a bunch of items
this past week.  The "prize", IMO, was a mint shape Goerz red dot APO
artar, 8.25 inch (210mm).
	No, I am not selling it.  :)
	Even though it is F9, they were using it on a large process camera.  I
later double checked witht he university, and although they have not used
it for a while, they made some pretty big maps with it.  I am not sure, but
I think this thing will cover 5x7 - more than enough for my 4x5.

	Anyhow - here's my setup - I have a monorail and in that case i use all my
big lenses - a big 90mm Komurea, a big 180mm Rodenstock and another 30mm
Komura - all these lenses cover 5x7,a nd are big and heavy.
	But - for my backpack, I have a spuer speed graphic,a nd in there I have a
90mm angluon, a 135 mm Rodenstock, but nothign small in the 210mm range -
until now.
	True the lens is F9, but it is small, very small (I liek small when
backpacking), so I get home with my near gear - and this is the really
"kick ass" part that makes me happy - all my 40.5mm B+W filters (that I
have a minor fortune invested in), all these filters that fit on both the
Rodenstock and the angulon - they fit *perfect* on the Goerz.    Bonus, eh!

	Now the downer - I have an old Polariod MP4 Copal press shutter - a #1, in
just perfect shape that I can use,a nd I am thinking "yeah, cool, here I
go" but no - bummer - you need a #3 lens for front mount.  No use sending
my Copal shutter of to Mr. Grimes withmy lens, as it does not have an Iris
(but the lens does), so i would need a whole new shutter.
	I may go that way, but I thought I would try to find out if anyone has a
spare #3 shutter (any brand) lying around they would liek to get rid of, or
do some horse trading for.   I've been trying ebay, and while it's a great
place to sell, when you olyhave a dial up connection, you always loose out
at th elast minute bidding to fater connects.  And, a lot of guys selling
on Ebay will not shi outside hte USA.  Bummer there too.

	Second dumb question.  I also picked up a Bychrome vacmun easel in great
shape.  Problem - no vacumn pump.  The easel itsel fis in mint shape.
	As an aside - itis totally bizzxare how some of the gear i picked up looks
like it has been through a war zone - such as the print dryer, but other
items look liek they have never been used.  Go figure?

	Anyhow, I was looking at the easel, and i got this really weird thought -
the hole to the attachment  for the vacumn looks exactly the same size as
for a ShopVac.  Seriously.  Has anyone tried hooking up a shop vac to their
vacmun easel?   I mean, a proper vacum pump & attachments is a few hundred
bucks, a brand new shop vac (quiet running model) is about 60 bucks.  The
easel is great, will take 16x20 paper, so I am really looking forward to
using it, but Ijust want to know if my idea has merit or if you all think I
need to go back  ahome and start a prescription for lithium.

	Next dumb question
	I have recently picked up two enlarging lenses.  Wellt he first - i think
is an enlarging lens.  It is Wray (made in England) 4", F3.5  Any idea of
the coverage of this sucker?  I still shoot some MF, and this might be okay.
	The second lens I picked up (at a different sale) is an older but
excellent shape Componon enlarging lens, 180mm, chrome barrel.   Currently
I use  a 135 Componon I picked up used,andit is great for my 4x5, but has
anyone used a 180 componon for 4x5?  Iahve pleanty of mounting caps & rings
for my old Omgea D enlarger (which I also bought at the same university
many moons ago on a different sale), but thought i would ask before doing so.

	Well that's it for now.  thanks much
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"