[LargeFormat] 5x7 Lens Information

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Aug 26 05:08:56 2002

At 5:49 pm -0700 25/8/02, Rich Lahrson wrote:
>Clive,
>
>      The 165mm Angulon probably doesn't provide as much image circle as
>the 190mm Kodak Wide Field Ektar though it is wider.  Is it f/6.3?
>
>Rich

Rich,

The 165mm Angulon is f6.8 - mine is a Linhof select lens so probably
is amongst the best of the output from Schneider at the time of
manufacture.

I also have a 120mm Angulon that is Linhof select and find both
lenses perform well.

The 190mm WF Ektar is a good lens from all accounts and I am
delighted with other WF Ektars that are used here for various
formats. There have been a few reports of flare and low (compared to
modern glass) contrast from the 190mm WFs -  a US magazine reported
on a shoot out between the 250mm WF and a couple of similar lenses,
including one modern offering.

John Frost was kind enough to bring a copy of the magazine along to
the f32 Spring Workshop and the issue of low contrast for the 250mm
WF was mentioned in the article. I'm sure that the lenses would have
been cleaned before the test, but who knows....

Anyway, it's the look and feel of the images produced with the lens
that is important. Many of us prefer older glass for the type of
images it can produce.

My advice on the 190mm WF was based on the current market value of
the lens - the prices seem rather inflated given the other options
out there in terms of both old and new glass.

You could pick up a contemporary used MC lens for your 5x7 at a
similar price! For example there is a 210mm f5.6 MC Schneider
Symmar-S in Copal shutter here that has superb glass but two
wonderful dings in the front lens filter - cost less than half the
market price of the 190mm WF.

The 190 WF covers 318mm
The 210 Symmar-S covers 294mm

One thing is for sure, if you are shooting trannies then a modern
shutter makes life a lot easier :-)