[LargeFormat] 5x7 Lens Information

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Mon Aug 26 01:15:36 2002

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 20:57:41 -0700 Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

> I've used a WF Ektar 190mm for 8x10 and was not
> impressed.  Very low
> contrast and a strong tendency to flare.
>
> I've since dropped 8x10 in favor of heavier use
> of my 4x5 and the
> availability of digital scans and enlarged
> negatives.  Though not
> necessarily my favorite lens overall (they're
> all my children, after
> all), if I could only carry one lens with me,
> it would be my 120mm
> Angulon.  It's very sharp and has great color
> contrast.  It is also
> quite small and easy to pack - my Wista will
> close with the lens in
> place.
>
> A good friend uses a 180 Angulon for 11x14,
> BTW.
>
> Karl Wolz

  I've found that many older lenses get a coating of haze inside the cells.
The haze doesn't look like much visually but destroys the contrast of the
lens.
  Of course, I can't tell about this particular lens but suspect that the
contrast might be substantially increased by opening up the cells and cleaning
the internal surfaces of the elements. The haze comes off with any lens
cleaner. By memory, the WF Ektars, at least the larger ones, have threaded
back caps which are easy to remove. You might need a gripper of some sort, a
rubber glove works.
  I don't know what the haze is. Some lenses seem to be more prone to it than
others. I suspect its somthing from the anti-reflection paint inside the cell.

  W.F. Ektars are all single coated so should not be extraordinarily flarey.

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com
Los Angeles, CA, USA