[LargeFormat] Filters

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jul 7 17:14:36 2002

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Clive Warren wrote:

> At 10:58 am -0700 5/7/02, Tori Nelson wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I'm finally going to break down and get a filter "system" for my 8x10.  I
> >could really use some input on what y'all are using, and why you wouldn't
> >use anything else.  Also, if you could have only three or four filters,
> >which would they be?  I know that I can't live much longer without a
> >polarizer, but what should the other two or three be?  I shoot B&W almost
> >exclusively.
> snip
>
> Tori,
>
> Buy the best you can afford!  My choice is a Cokin "P" type system
> using optical resin died in the mass filters. This means that the die
> is not simply layered on top of each surface but goes all the way
> through, just like Brighton Rock.
>
> You probably know all this already - the Cokin holders allow you to
> use the filter system on a huge range of lenses by simply changing an
> adapter plate for the filter thread of each lens. So, you only have
> to buy one filter of each variety rather than a set for each
> different lens filter thread.
>
> Heres my list:
>
> 1. Red 25
> 2. Orange 12
> 3. Yellow
> 4. ND Grad
>
> If I was allowed a few more then it be a polariser and a green filter
> - and for  infrared an 89B.
>
> The grad will allow a lot more creative control and ideally there
> would be a range of densities and cutoffs.
>
> Cheers,
>        Clive

I agree with Clive, Cokin is a good option.  Just so long as you go with a
system that allows filters large enough to cover your glass without
vignetting.  However, I only use the Cokin stuff for graduated ND and the
graduated tints.  I started in 35mm, so I bought threaded glass filters
for that gear, luckily my largest lens required a 77mm thread.  So I've
added adapter rings (stepdown) to fit my LF lens (yes, I only have one at
this point!)  I can add the Cokin to the front of these filters as needed.

The real advantage to using glass is durability.  I really hate having to
use Cokin and the other 'soft' materials as filters.  I'm always concerned
about damaging them, scratching them when they require a dusting, etc...
I also don't like the potential for light to get in behind them and cause
unwanted reflections and otherwise lower contrast.  That can't happen with
screw on filters.  However, it's impossible to do any graduated ND work
with a screw on filter!

As a side note, some opticians can get blanks to fit the Cokin system
(for example) and can do custom tints and graduations at a reasonable
price - especially if the optician is a friend ;-)

The choices Clive suggest seem good to me as well.  I might swap out the
orange for a green, but that's really a choice determined by what you
shoot.

--
Brock Nanson
Kamloops BC Canada