[LargeFormat] Filters

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jul 7 06:29:07 2002

At 10:58 am -0700 5/7/02, Tori Nelson wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I'm finally going to break down and get a filter "system" for my 8x10.  I
>could really use some input on what y'all are using, and why you wouldn't
>use anything else.  Also, if you could have only three or four filters,
>which would they be?  I know that I can't live much longer without a
>polarizer, but what should the other two or three be?  I shoot B&W almost
>exclusively.
snip

Tori,

Buy the best you can afford!  My choice is a Cokin "P" type system
using optical resin died in the mass filters. This means that the die
is not simply layered on top of each surface but goes all the way
through, just like Brighton Rock.

You probably know all this already - the Cokin holders allow you to
use the filter system on a huge range of lenses by simply changing an
adapter plate for the filter thread of each lens. So, you only have
to buy one filter of each variety rather than a set for each
different lens filter thread.

Heres my list:

1. Red 25
2. Orange 12
3. Yellow
4. ND Grad

If I was allowed a few more then it be a polariser and a green filter
- and for  infrared an 89B.

The grad will allow a lot more creative control and ideally there
would be a range of densities and cutoffs.