[LargeFormat] Need recommendations for a 4X5 enlarger lens

Charles Thorsten largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jul 7 16:43:23 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <cocam@blueyonder.co.uk>

> Charlie,
>
> Just goes to show that there is probably not much difference between
> the top brands when the lenses have been treated with at least a
> little respect during their working lives. My Rodenstock experiences
> were with lenses used at a local college darkroom that a friend
> sneaked me into during the evenings - it was a stop gap measure used
> years ago whilst I located a 4x5 enlarger. The equipment was to say
> the least "well used" and relatively new at the time. I bet that if
> the students had to buy their own lenses they would have been a
> little more careful with them......

How true.  I'm sure the lenses had seen better days.  One of the
most common causes of a "bad lens" is simply dirt buildup on the
rear element.  This causes significant reduction in contrast and
edge definition in the final print causing much frustration to say
the least.  Fingerprints on the coatings is also a problem in "well used"
darkrooms, especially in colleges setups.  If the lenses were used
in a B&W darkroom, chemical fumes can build up a haze on the
elements that is difficult to clean once it sets in.  Unfortunately, I've
also seen these problems in many professional labs where production
takes priority over high quality.

As a side note, I should mention that my experience with
Rodenstock enlarging lenses has been with their APO-Rodagon
series, whereas the Schneiders I've used have all been regular
Componons.  I'm sure the APO-Componon-HM lenses are
of the highest quality.

> My main taking lens for 4x5 is a Rodenstock Sironar "N" 150mm - I
> have recently been lent an APO Symmar 150mm and I bet it'll be hard
> to tell the difference in terms of resolution. Colour balance may be
> another story with the difference in coatings..... am fairly sure
> that the Sironar is APO.

I also use this lens, the APO-Sironar-N 150mm, purchased new about
a year and a half ago.  I have a Schneider 210mm Symmar-S
(not the new APO) and the results are very similar.  I'm sure the new
APO-Symmar 150mm will be at least equal to the Rodenstock if not
better.  Color balance probably won't be too different.  They are
both outstanding lenses.

-Charlie