[LargeFormat] Re: Galleries: Wilpena Pound, Flinders Ranges, South Australia

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jul 6 01:33:05 2002

OK, I'll admit I'm confused.  Not an unusual state some would say...

While I got this message, apparently posted by Robert, I don't see it on the
forum.  And in fact, the forum seems to be blank unless you link in from one
of these messages.  Is there a problem with the discus board or have I got
issues on this end?

Robert, thanks for your suggestion about the monitor settings.  While they
helped, they also managed to confuse me some more ;-)

I had set my monitor up originally with the adobe gamma wizard that came
with Photoshop 5.  Seemed to be fine.  A few months ago I purchased and
installed an Epson 2450 scanner.  When working with scans in Photocopy I
found a few strange tendencies...
- An image tweaked to look 'right' in Photoshop was horribly dark in ACDSee.
- An image tweaked to look 'right' in Photoshop looked fine in Internet
Explorer.
- An image tweaked to look 'right' in Photoshop looked fine when printed to
photographic paper at the lab.
- Readjusting the monitor tonight helps the issues I had with the images I
found to be dark previously, but the monitor is now set to maximum
brightness and contrast
- Color saturation isn't overly pleasing anymore.

I suspect the scanner software may have messed up my original settings.
However, I'm curious to know how others set their monitors for this sort of
work.  I have a Viewsonic E773 which, while not a 'pro' monitor, is
certainly a fair way from the bargain basement.  I don't think I should have
to set it to maximum (brightness and contrast), but perhaps this is normal.

Thoughts?

Brock