[LargeFormat] Re: Admiration

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 5 00:58:24 2002

I have a deep admiration for the early wilderness photographers.
=20
Some of my deepest admiration is for the crew who surveyed the
BC/Alberta border along the 1000 km-long continental divide between 1913
and 1924. The survey was largely based on their photographic record,
most were taken for mapping purposes, a few are simply stunning.=20

I don't know who took the photos. The survey was led by Arthur Wheeler &
R.W. Cautley. I couldn't find an online link to the Interprovincial
Boundary Commission's photos, most that I have seen were scattered
around and in the BC Archives. One badly scanned & not overly impressive
photo is at http://members.rogers.com/zgiorgio/mtcolumbia.html. If I
have the location right this photo was taken about a 2 hour walk (900m
of elevation) for me with my 4x5 from the today's highway. When it was
taken the nearest train station was about 110km away.

This admiration leads to some of my great struggles - I have no good
excuse not to take my camera into the woods (after all they did it), yet
I know that to take the type of photographs I currently enjoy I do not
need to go further than 10 feet from the road.

Dave Hornford
"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't
mean it's useless."
   --- Thomas Edison