[LargeFormat] Ansel Adams at 100

Charles Thorsten largeformat@f32.net
Fri May 31 12:41:34 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Wolz" <wolzphoto@worldnet.att.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 11:53 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Ansel Adams at 100

> Ansel's work can be inspiring and intimidating.  You say that the two
> different prints of the same image reflect his changing vision.  I believe
> that they reflect his mastery of the darkroom end of his visualization,
not
> to mention improvements in paper and processes between the forties and the
> seventies.  BTW, I saw the show in SF.

There was a large show of his California work here a few years ago.
It also had several prints of the same image  made at different times.
Although his printing did change over time, it wasn't always an
improvement.  I liked his prints from the early 60's the best.  They
were nice and open with a long scale, similar to John Sexton's
current prints.  Ansel's later work from the mid to late 70's became
much heavier and more intense, especially with the Museum Sets.
Shadows were extremely dark and the highlights never seemed to
get above Zone VII.  Perhaps this could be from the lack of good
fiber based papers in the mid 1970s, but I've read from people
who knew him (Mary Alinder, Alan Ross, etc.) that he tended to
print darker and contrastier towards the end of his life.

I didn't get to see the recent show in SF last year.  I'll have to wait
until it comes to LA in 2003.  I thoroughly enjoyed the California
show however!

-Charlie