[LargeFormat] Dialogue Light Meters (was Re: Lensboards on the road)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Apr 8 11:06:28 2002

At 12:53 08/04/02 +0100, Robert Lawrence wrote:
Clive Warren wrote:

 > My field kit was only slightly heavier than Roberts for that
 > particular shoot. I was carrying a Speed Graphic 4x5 in its wonderful
 > vulcanised case, together with a 15" telephoto, and Graflex bulb flash gun
 > with additional remote bulb flash head and about four grafmatics.

And the light meter!! (Usually surplus to requirements, though)  :-)

We have digital and analogue meters, Robert is the third type of light
meter - a dialogue meter. You can ask him what the exposure is - usually he
will initiate the dialogue himself shortly after you have laboriously spot
metered highlights shadows and midtones and made your mental calculations
for the film. This dialogue meter will be accurate to 1/6 stop and can
cause you to throw your expensive spot meter around :-)

The upside is that you do not need batteries......