[LargeFormat] Plate Holders

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 27 14:27:57 2002

the 9x12 film holders I have are single sheet and won't come close to
fitting a common camera.

I've got a firend in England that got an interesting English Kodak View
camera that looks like a better built 2D. I'm pretty sure  dimensions where
just off enough so that you couldn't use a common 5x7 holder and kodak
didn't make a 5x7 back for it.  he also got the quarter plate back as well

Now whole plate is a useableformat. The holders are hard to find, glass
plate holders with septums inside are the cheapest, true film holders run
$30 each. I've managed to aquire a few Hoffmans.

Be carefull of turn of the century view cameras not made by either Folmer &
Schwing, Century or Kodak.  These three used what is now the standard
holder. Other manufacturers did different things and spare holders would be
impossible to get.