[LargeFormat] t-max films

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 18 22:14:16 2002

I was in Rochester when Tmax first came out so I've used it almost from day
1. When I shot B&W progress photos for consturction I, used tmax 400 120
developed it in Tmax Developer 1:4 as a two shot dev. Printed 8x10s

now Iwasn't trying to be either Sexton or Adams Bond, James or Howard.
After a while I began to thing the images looked less sharp, and had more
grain than they should, this from a 120 neg out of a Hassy!

Then I had to go back and print a 35m TriX neg.

Hey my Tmax never looked so sharp and fine in my life!

Now once you get into 4x5 negs printed on 8x10 or even worse 8x10 contact
prints, then the grain question dissapears and you start looking at
tonality, separation, adjacency effect, and every developer and every time
will have a different effect.  As Ansel once said, Expose for the secrets,
develop for the suprises!

les