[LargeFormat] On Location

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Wed Feb 20 20:38:01 2002

At 12:45 PM 2/20/2002 -0800, Charles Thorsten wrote:

>Clive,
>
>I'm glad someone is getting out and making photographs!
>Which 90mm Super Angulon do you have?  I have the
>regular f/8 lens, and for some reason I've never liked it
>very much.  It does the job and has okay coverage, but
>it never seems to have the crispness of, say, my 150mm
>Rodenstock or 210mm Symmar.  I'm curious to hear
>your thoughts.
>
>-Charlie

Charlie,

I suspect that your 150 & 210 are f/5.6 lenses. The 90 is f/8. It is a well
known fact that the wider the lens, the more difficult it is to see to
focus. My belief (and practice) is that the wider the lens, the wider the
max aperture needs to be. Which is why my 75mm lens (a Rodenstock
Grandagon) is f/4.5 and I have no trouble focusing. I rented an f/8 90mm
Super Angulon and couldn't see a damn thing! Dismally dark GG image. My
120/180/210 are all f/5.6 and give a bright image. My long 720mm Nikkor is
f/16 max and is bright and easy to focus.

What I am saying is, is it possible that you simply cannot focus the dim
f/8 90mm GG image?

Jim