[LargeFormat] RE: 300 mm lenses

Michael Briggs largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 18 04:00:06 2002

On 18-Jan-02 Tom Prack wrote:
> I'm always around the woods and the fields with my Phillips
> and for the moment it's enough to have an wideangel
> Rodenstock Grandagon-N 155mm 6,8
> the tripod is ultralight Gitzo.
> I look for recommandation lightweight 300 or max. 360 mm lens
> with sharp image. Stops are not so important.

Is this an 8x10 camera?

For current lightweight lenses, there are, I think, three choices:

Nikkor-M 300 mm f9, with MSCC of 325 mm.
Fujinon-C 300 mm f8.5 with MSCC of 380 mm.
Schneider G-Claron 305 mm f9 with MSCC of 381 mm.

"MSCC" is the diameter of the Manufacturer's Suggested Circle of Coverage.   I
decided to call it this because the boundary of the circle of coverage isn't
definite to one mm, or perhaps even 10 mm, accuracy.

The Nikkor and Fuji are multi-coated and designed for distant subjects.  The
Schneider is single-coated and optimized for 1:1; nevertheless, it has an
excellent reputation at infinity.

--Michael