[LargeFormat] RE: Victoria

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 4 15:33:36 2002

And the other joke, 'why do the British drink their beer warm?  They have
Lucas refrigerators...'

The meter question is a stumper I'd say.  My recommendation would be to
try to establish a standard exposure with it and the spot meter.  Several
ways of course, including metering a white wall, evenly lit to metering
blue sky overhead, without clouds.  For a perfect exposure, the blue sky
is the same as a grey card (18% if I'm not mistaken?).  Perhaps put a roll
of B&W in the F, meter the wall with both, then shoot the same exposure
with as many combinations of shutter and aperture as you can.  Record what
frames were what.  Process and look for inconsistent results.  This would
tell you if the problem is shutter/aperture related, at with what speed.

Does the F use the same battery as the old Pentax spotmeters?  The one you
can't get anymore?  If the meter was left on with a close-to-flat battery,
maybe the meter doesn't rise as far as it should and your exposure
suffers?  I haven't spent much time with an F to recall exactly how it
works.  What about the ears on the aperture ring that contact the metering
system in the pentaprism?  Could there be a problem with ears or what they
contact?

The blue sky metering has been a good standby for me.  If you're out of
the shadows, exposing this way works every time.

Brock