[LargeFormat] Pre-exposure in the real world

John D. Clark largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 4 03:28:00 2002

    I've used pre-exposure quite a lot on my last field trip -- I used a
piece of frosted white plexiglas to pre-expose in the field.  You can
pre-expose before going out, but that means carrying more film holders -- I
ended up waiting so much for contrails to disperse there was plenty of time
to pre-expose before making the picture.

    Another thing to keep in mind that there's a difference between N-1
development and pre-exposure.  N-1 development compresses the tonal range,
more at the top end to provide a printable range.  Pre-exposure doesn't
change (to a measurable amount) the local contrast in the highlights, it
adds density in the shadows.  You can also pre-expose to any Zone -- I used
Zone III pre-exposure during my last field trip.

    The pre-exposure charts on the Zone System tutorial web pages are a
great way to understand how it all works:
    http://carbonphoto.cicada.com/zs/chapter8/d.html

    JDClark