[LargeFormat] Processing 4X5 recommandations

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 31 02:53:07 2001

> > I guess I must just do things differently, perhaps because no one ever
> > taught me differently... I have had the best success with trays - drums
> > didn't give me a result I liked and, as we've been discussing, tanks use
too
> > much chemistry.  Or the one I had did.  And I don't shoot enough film to
> > fill it quickly enough to satisfy my lack of patience.
> >
> > Before starting into large format (well, 4x5 - technically large
format!), I
> > had gone from d-76 to (gasp) tmax developer for my 35 work.  I'm
probably
> > the only one that I know who actually bought a second bottle, and a
third
> > etc...  I don't know why, but this stuff works for me.  So naturally, I
> > tried tmax developer when I went to 4x5.  I use a tray, about 6x9 inches
in
> > size (a Rubbermaid tray for cutlery I think) that's smooth as a baby's
> > bottom.  In my scientific way, I learned what volume was required to do
> > sheet, multiplied by four, then added some for good measure (until the
depth
> > in the tray seemed 'right').  I do two sheets at a time and toss the
> > chemistry after four sheets.  I gently rock the tray like I was
developing
> > paper, pulling the sheets out and putting them back in every minute.
They
> > sit side by side in the tray, without overlapping.
> >
> > I have never suffered streaks with this method.  The edges are not
> > overdeveloped... or if they are, they effectively correct for my lack of
> > center ND filter ;-)    Perhaps my luck has been due to the viscosity of
the
> > tmax solution - I don't know.  What I do know is there is only ONE
correct
> > method of developing sheet film... unfortunately it's a different method
for
> > everyone!
> >
> > Robert, before investing time and money in a tank or drum, shoot some
trial
> > sheets and try the tray - it might work for you too.
> >
> > I will eventually try some other developers, but for now the tmax and I
have
> > an understanding.
> >
> > I know at least 80% of you will think me crazy for using either the tray
or
> > tmax developer - so I fully expect the flames!  Have at 'er, I've go my
> > asbestos boxers on...
> >
> > Brock
> >

> I sure will give it a try, but I'm a bit nervous. Old 35mm and medium
format
> routine are hard to get rid off. It sure seem the more cost efficient
method
> and once you get the hang of it I suspect it's not so bad. But the method
> was taught was a few negative one over the other and slowly alternating
them
> one on top of the other, it seem dificult to believe that people are not
> scratching some negative this way. The other alternative, one by one seem
> bit tedious. So maybe I should check all the possibilities before
discarding
> this method.
>
> Robert

Robert,

I take special care to be sure the negatives DO NOT touch each other.  I
have the same fear as you - scratches!  The tray is very smooth and I'm
careful not to abuse the emulsion as it's very soft when wet.  My method is
tedious, but for the amount of film I process, it's not too bad.  Wouldn't
want to do more than 10 sheets at time this way!!!

Brock