[LargeFormat] Processing 4X5 recommandations

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 31 02:42:31 2001

When I was doing Tech Pan I did tray development.

I used a 5x7 tray filled it 3/4 full. In the dark, I put my left hand in
the bottom of the tray and then dropped each sheet of film in one at
time. The first one was turned, so I new which one was first. with all
the sheets in (6 to 8) I start the timer and   reach in with my right
hand and bring the bottom one up to the top. The emulsion is facing
down, so when I pull any chance of scratching would occur from the edge
of the sheet on the bottom touching the sheet coming up from the bottom.
Since this is all under developer I've never had a problem. When the
timer dings, I carefully pull each sheet out in the order they came in.

by using the bottom to the top method, quite a bit of developer stays
between the sheets, the left hand is there to keep the film from
floating away and losing their order.