[LargeFormat] Processing 4X5 recommandations

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 30 23:28:20 2001

> I'm the one who started this link but now it's way out of my league!!! ;-)
> My main concern is to have something that do not use a lot of chemicals,
and
> is easy to use. So I guess that the big tank are out of the question. That
> leaves us with tray or drum. I'm a bit nervous about tray processing, so I
> guess I'll go with drum. I read somewhere that there is a plan in some
book
> to do simple drum, unless someone got some jobo for sale I think I'll have
> to go this way. What size exactly are the 2509n jobo 4x5 reels? So that
Ican
> build the drum the right size....or do the plan also provide a device for
> holding the film.  Anybody got a copy of this article?
>
> Thanks again for the wealth of information!!
>
> Robert
> Mtl, Quebec

I guess I must just do things differently, perhaps because no one ever
taught me differently... I have had the best success with trays - drums
didn't give me a result I liked and, as we've been discussing, tanks use too
much chemistry.  Or the one I had did.  And I don't shoot enough film to
fill it quickly enough to satisfy my lack of patience.

Before starting into large format (well, 4x5 - technically large format!), I
had gone from d-76 to (gasp) tmax developer for my 35 work.  I'm probably
the only one that I know who actually bought a second bottle, and a third
etc...  I don't know why, but this stuff works for me.  So naturally, I
tried tmax developer when I went to 4x5.  I use a tray, about 6x9 inches in
size (a Rubbermaid tray for cutlery I think) that's smooth as a baby's
bottom.  In my scientific way, I learned what volume was required to do a
sheet, multiplied by four, then added some for good measure (until the depth
in the tray seemed 'right').  I do two sheets at a time and toss the
chemistry after four sheets.  I gently rock the tray like I was developing
paper, pulling the sheets out and putting them back in every minute.  They
sit side by side in the tray, without overlapping.

I have never suffered streaks with this method.  The edges are not
overdeveloped... or if they are, they effectively correct for my lack of a
center ND filter ;-)    Perhaps my luck has been due to the viscosity of the
tmax solution - I don't know.  What I do know is there is only ONE correct
method of developing sheet film... unfortunately it's a different method for
everyone!

Robert, before investing time and money in a tank or drum, shoot some trial
sheets and try the tray - it might work for you too.

I will eventually try some other developers, but for now the tmax and I have
an understanding.

I know at least 80% of you will think me crazy for using either the tray or
tmax developer - so I fully expect the flames!  Have at 'er, I've go my
asbestos boxers on...

Brock