[LargeFormat] Processing 4X5 recommandations.

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 30 20:22:21 2001

FredARose@aol.com wrote:

> Looking at the numbers fort he Yankee tank....  It holds a max of 12 4x5
> sheets which works out well with the 13 max you indicated for 1:1 D-76.
>
> I tray develop in a 5x7 tray up to 6 sheets at one time.  With the dilute
> developer volume per 8"x10" I should be using 6/4 * 500 ml or 750 ml.  Now
> figuring the depth required in my "5x7" trays , which are 6"x8" with sloping
> sides.

Anchell also states that you should use a tray one size larger that the
format, but a minimum of 8x10 tray even for 4x5.

I believe my 8x10 trays  hold 2 liters when full enough to keep your
hand below the film, which would handle 8 sheets 4x5 very dilute, Now I
can't handle more than 8 sheets in a tray so it seems that if you are
just doing 4x5  deep tanks aren't necessary.

8x10 on the other hand,

a deep tank is 3.5 gal. or roughly 14 quarts or 14 liters.  that's 14
sheets very dilute. 12 is about all I can put in a deep tank before
things get squished.

Anchell is also a big proponent of one shot developers. And while he
admits for large volume processing this isn't cost effective, he states
the only way to get consistant results batch to batch, month to month is
to start with fresh developer each time.

No wonder stand developement with very dilute developers were popular.
Penny wise, pound foolish be damned, I'm not gonna mix up 3.5 gal of
straight D76 just to get 12 sheets out of it.

Suddenly Rodinal 1:100 starts looking real good!