[LargeFormat] "Sharing" LF Equipment

Bob Younger largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 29 15:02:04 2001

I believe many LF photographers share the same spirit that inspires Clive to
run this list and the f32 forum. Given that understanding, and the recent
postings around sharing unused equipment with new LF photographers, I'm
going to start this independent thread to facilitate that philanthropy. I'm
going to suggest that recipients of others' generosity pay postage and other
shipping/customs costs; but even that's not intended as a rule. I think the
governing, and only rule should be Clive's last paragraph below, "The driver
behind f32 is to develop a community of LF photographers - and of course to
encourage newcomers to discover the delights of LF photography."

To that end, I have a 480mm, f/9 Rodenstock APO-Ronar for an 8x10 (that's
10x8 across the Atlantic pond) or probably 11x14 photographer (it weighs
more than most 4x5 cameras, and most 'don't have the bellows for it'). It
does not have a shutter or lensboard, but does have the retaining ring. It's
'probably' usable as is (especially for b&w), though the aperture ring is
tight down below f/64 to f/260. The inside elements are a little cloudy.
You're definitely not going to shoot into the sun with this, though it would
be interesting to see what nighttime city lights would do.......hmmmmmm,
should I really part with this???.......  It weighs (actually) three pounds
(1.4kg); is about 3" (75mm) in diameter at the lensboard; and has (about) a
67mm filter ring. If you're getting started in 'larger' LF work, let me know
if you think this lens would be valuable to you.

Bob Younger
San Diego, California, USA