[LargeFormat] 6x17cm Format on 5x7 Cameras

Paul and Paula Butzi largeformat@f32.net
Fri Dec 14 12:03:08 2001

> As it was a bright sunny day I thought the cold (2C) would not be too
> much of a problem - wrong! It was freezing with a wind chill factor
> of -7C. After the first shot I couldn't feel the focusing knobs or
> standard clamping knobs and it was a race to get the second shot and
> pack the kit up with no feeling in any of my fingers.....
>
> You peops who ask how to stop your breath freezing on the ground
> glass clearly are more hardy than us pampered Brits!

Here in North America, we use a cunning invention called 'gloves' which
are insulated coverings for your hands with individual spaces for individual
fingers and thumbs, and 'mittens' which are similar but have only one space for all your
fingers and another for your thumb.  You wear one glove/mitten on one
hand, and another on the other hand.

I have several different pairs for different conditions.  My favorite ones
are made from a material called 'Polartec Windbloc (tm)' and have the
tips of the finger parts cut off.  They keep my hands warm even in high
wind and low temp, and with the tips of my fingers exposed, I can still
work the camera controls easily.

It's hard to believe that this simple invention hasn't come to the attention
of you Brits.  Still, I guess if you guys thought it made sense to send
expeditions to the polar regions with ponies, and armies to India
with woolen uniforms, it might escape your notice that in the rest
of the world, people dress to suit the conditions, and gloves and mittens
can go a long way toward enhancing your comfort when it's cold.

:-)

-Paul, who just couldn't resist giving you a tweak.  Seriously, Windbloc
gloves are great.  Surely they're available in the UK?