[LargeFormat] Advice on Purchase

Charles Thorsten largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 10 16:58:39 2001

> > If I were to get an older model, say a Toyo View 4x5d, would I be able
> > "accessorize"? The going rate for that model used is more in-line with
my
> > budget.

I have a Toyo 45D that I purchased new about three years ago
(the dealer still had one in stock).  It's a great camera, but its main
limitation is that it doesn't have an interchangeable bellows.  Macro
work is thus limited if you need a lot of extention, and you also
can't use a wideangle bag bellows.  This last point hasn't been a big
deal to me, since my 75mm and 90mm lenses are both in recessed
lensboards and the movements I use aren't that extreme.  On a
positive note, it has a nice 360-degree revolving back, which the
45CX doesn't have.  It also uses full-size lensboards.

-Charlie