[LargeFormat] Re: world's largest pinhole camera

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Nov 28 06:52:15 2001

At 09:04 27/11/01 -0500, Guy Glorieux wrote:
>Les Newcomer wrote:
>
> > Watching Buses, trucks and squirrels were the most fun
> >

>This was my greatest pleasure when I was a kid.  I didn't know anything
>about photography or pinholes or Camera Obscura.  It was just sort of
>happening with a slit in my bedroom's curtain and I would love it in the
>morning or when I was supposed to take the afternoon nap...
>
>There is also a photographer (who'se name I forgot) who photographs the
>pinhole images on the wall of hotel rooms around the US.  These are
>striking images, since he has both the inverted pinhole image on the
>wall/ceiling and the image of the hotel room.  These require extremely long
>exposures.  I wonder how he deals with reciprocity failure.  It must be
>enormous.

Cars at night - a slit in the curtain at the top projecting onto the
ceiling headlights illuminating other cars, we used to call them spaceships :-)

Guy, thanks for reminding me about that chap who uses hotel rooms as
cameras.  I read something about him a while ago and wanted to try out his
process ever since. The main elements are choice of room with a view and
hoping that the cleaners respect the "do not disturb" sign placed on the
outside of the door. The idea of stacking all of the furniture in the
bathroom was quite amusing.....  The exposures were in the order of 7 hours
in memory serves correctly - just time enough for your meeting and then
back to roll up the paper hoping that the cleaners had not been in to draw
the curtains and look for the furniture.

We have a very old camera obscura here in Bristol very close to the
Victorian suspension bridge designed and built by Isambard Kingdom
Brunel.  The camera  has recently been restored and has many visitors in
the summer months.