[LargeFormat] mounting Fuji print material

ryounger@home.com largeformat@f32.net
Fri Nov 23 08:44:02 2001

I mount the Fuji paper with one strip of tape across the top for 11x14" and smaller; for larger prints up to 20x24" I've =
had to put a piece of tape across the bottom edge as well to ensure they stay close to the mat. Otherwise static electric=
ity (I'm using UV filtering plexiglass instead of glass) caused the print to pull away and stick to the plexiglass. (30x3=
6" prints proved particularly troublesome) Enough static could get built up with just a gentle wiping of dust off the ple=
xi, and in Southern California, USA which has a reasonably dry climate, it could take two weeks to dissipate sufficiently=
 such that the print would pull away and lie against the board again. It looked like a huge wet spot on the print where i=
t touched the plexi! (I'm using two layers of 4-ply board.) Recommending anti-static wipe cloths to the buyers helped wit=
h some of the problem, but taping top and bottom solved the problem. Just ensure that the mat board is completely flat wh=
en you tape the bottom; and use some care to not pull the print, but just tape it as it lies. I use Tyvek tape.

Bob Younger
San Diego, CA
ryounger@home.com

original query.

i am investigating ways to mount fuji archival paper. what would the best
substrate be on which to mount the colour prints, and which adhesive would
offer a quality, non-acidic, archival effect. in SA the range of specific
archival glues is very limited. i once heard of mounting photographs to
board with wax, any responses. if a print lies against glass can it effect
longevity? any advice on archival mounting welcome. thanks