[LargeFormat] InfraRed

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Mon Nov 19 14:48:01 2001

>From: "philip Lambert" <philip.lambert@virgin.net>
>I see on www.mrcad.co.uk that one can buy inrared film and a filter, e.g 25
>sheets 5x4 £36. Maco brand "handling and processing as Kodak HIE". Has
>anybody tried this and is the winter season a practical time to start?. My
>black velvet loading bag is light-tight - does this mean it's infra-red
>tight?
>The film is also available in 35mm so one might first experiment on this.
>The same site has "Genius" lith film at e.g. 25 sheets 5x7 £14 and Maco B&W
>up to 20x24 although I did hear a man say it was grainy.....maybe - but he
>never said what exposure/ developer he used.  Philip

Greetings,

I use Maco's IR in 120 and plan on using it once my frozen supply of HIE
runs out.  I tried it with an 87c filter, but liked it better with a plain
87.  Its sensitivity does not go as high into the infrared as HIE, which
probably explains why it "looks" better with just an 87 filter.

The 120 stuff has an antihalation coating and I have successfully loaded it
in the subdued light of a car trunk in bright sunlight.  With an 87 filter,
I rate it ISO 6 and develop it in full strength Xtol for 6 minutes at 20c
(Jobo rotary processor.)

This film produces a nice IR negative, but a bit different than HIE.  I
guess due to the antihalation coating the highlight "bloom" is not as
pronounced.

Regards,  Pete