[LargeFormat] Scanning 4x5 B&W negs

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Oct 10 07:28:03 2001

At 00:54 01/10/01 +0200, Frantisek Vlcek wrote:
>Hi Clive,
>
>    1) the "pyramid" you mention can be made relatively simply, I don't
>    remember the URL but try links @ www.scantips.com or similar. It's
>    basically just a closed square box cut by the diagonal, and half of it is
>    used over (it looks like a house roof) the slide/neg. I know it
>    worked reasonably well for 35mm slides. If bigger sizes are
>    possible, don't know. I think you are gonna be disappointed though,
>    if you are used to ScanMaker's trannie trays.
>
>    2) just for proofing (and maybe monitor-size scans just for web)
>    a bunch of 35mm B&W negs this approach actually worked: lay the negs on
>    the reflective area glass, cover with white paper and close lid.
>    Scanned, using Silverfast, a simple but relatively detailed
>    "contact" sheet was made. Perhaps from 4x5" negs, web-sized images
>    could be made  in this way?
>
>    3) I am not completely familiar with the second tray of ScanMakers
>    - would it be possible to fit a diffusing sheet to it, between
>    light and neg? That would pretty much solve the problem, no?
>
>    HTH,
>        Frantisek

Hello Frantisek,

Just back from various business trips - final one flying back from Milan,
Italy on Monday was 7 hours longer than expected...... Little chance of
large format photography on any of the trips due to the hand luggage
restrictions.  With a lot of flight changes the idea of putting the LF gear
in the hold didn't fill me with enthusiasm particularly after experiencing
the tight security precautions in Munich

Thanks for the useful suggestions - like the idea of using a diffusing
sheet on the ScanMaker tray. Would probably work a lot better than the
Pyramid idea but may try both.

Simply scanning negs using the top glass and a white background still
leaves the effect of scattering from dense areas of the negative using the
highly collimated light of the scanner light tube.  Anyway, hope to have
some time for experimentation in the not too distant future.

One of the reasons for exploring the scanning route is the clutter in the
dark room and time. Will have to make less of one and more of the other :-)