[LargeFormat] Scanning 4x5 B&W negs

Frantisek Vlcek largeformat@f32.net
Mon Oct 1 11:16:01 2001

Hi Clive,

   1) the "pyramid" you mention can be made relatively simply, I don't
   remember the URL but try links @ www.scantips.com or similar. It's
   basically just a closed square box cut by the diagonal, and half of it is
   used over (it looks like a house roof) the slide/neg. I know it
   worked reasonably well for 35mm slides. If bigger sizes are
   possible, don't know. I think you are gonna be disappointed though,
   if you are used to ScanMaker's trannie trays.

   2) just for proofing (and maybe monitor-size scans just for web)
   a bunch of 35mm B&W negs this approach actually worked: lay the negs on
   the reflective area glass, cover with white paper and close lid.
   Scanned, using Silverfast, a simple but relatively detailed
   "contact" sheet was made. Perhaps from 4x5" negs, web-sized images
   could be made  in this way?

   3) I am not completely familiar with the second tray of ScanMakers
   - would it be possible to fit a diffusing sheet to it, between
   light and neg? That would pretty much solve the problem, no?

   HTH,
       Frantisek