[LargeFormat] Polaroid Backs

Michael Briggs largeformat@f32.net
Sun Sep 30 01:50:04 2001

On 30-Sep-01 Michael Holley wrote:

> I want to purchase a used Polaroid back for my 4 x 5 LF camera.  Can anyone
> recommend a specific model as there seems to be several different types (500,
> 545, etc.) ?

The current models are the 550, 545i and 545 Pro.   The 550 takes Polaroid Pack
film, while the 545i and 545 Pro take Polaroid Sheet Film.

I recommend the Sheet film.  It has the advantage that you load a single sheet
at a time and can freely change the type of Polaroid sheet film that you are
using with each exposure.  For example, you could expose several sheets of Type
52 for B+W prints, than a Type 55 to get a negative, then one of the color
types.  With the Pack film, if you want to avoid waste you have to expose all
the sheets in the pack before changing to a new/different pack.

The 545i and 545Pro are the current models for sheet film and are made of
mostly of plastic.  The previous 545 was made of metal and is considerably
heavier.  It works just as well and is a valid choice if you want to save
money.  The difference between the 545i and Pro is that the Pro incorporates a
timer (probably not worth it).  The predecessor to these was the model 500,
which is by now quite old and is not guaranteed by Polaroid to work with
current films. There were at least two variants of the 545; an early one had a
larger locking clip which prevents the holder from fitting some cameras.   So
if you buy a used one test it on your camera before buying or get a return
privilege.

Another reason to have a return privilege is to test the operation.  The
possible problems are clips that don't hold the film well and dirty or scarred
rollers (as mentioned by Kevin).

An excellent book, though hard to find on the used book market, is the 1978
revised "Polaroid Land Photography" by Ansel Adams.  The first edition of 1963
is not as useful.

There is a lot of information on Polaroids web site, e.g.,
http://www.polaroid.com/products/instant_cameras/filmholders/index.html and
http://www.polaroid.com/service/filmdatasheets/index.html

I hope this helps and that I didn't get anything wrong.

--Michael