[LargeFormat] Durst 138S focusing problem

Don Wilkes largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jun 18 16:26:22 2001

At 04:07 PM 6/18/01 +0100, Clive Warren wrote:

>Ran my had over the focusing track last night briefly and didn't feel any
>gears - if I get the time tonight will take a quick digital snap and put it
>up on the f32 Discussion Forum at http://www.f32.net/discus/

I fiddled about a bit on Friday night, but didn't make much progress.  With
the enlarger positioned in a right-angle corner or the room, with the bench
to its left, it's difficult to crane my head around to the back. I was
hoping to unbutton the panels around the focus mechanism, but couldn't see
well enough to determine what tools I'd need, let alone get at it...rats.
Anyhoo, I wiped the rail (gearless, as you say) and put some lubrication on
it.  This didn't seem to have much effect.  In running the focus up and
down, though, I seemed to encounter a spot where it consistently slips -- I
wonder if the wheel that runs on the rail has developed a flat spot?  Hmm.
One thing that was positive was that I seem to be able to get to critical
focus without a lot of to-and-fro by exertng a bit of upwards lifting
pressure on the head while I focus (if that makes sense).

>may be "jib" adjustments similar to those on a lathe bed if you are
>familiar with this concept.

Um, unfortunately not...my supervisor happens to be a workshop hobbiest, so
I'll ask if he knows what it means.

>guitar amp in addition to large format cameras on tripods, furniture and of
>course the enlargers and sinks etc.  Bit of a 'mare to sort out but it is
>now top of the list....

Yikes -- things must be tight if you're stashing stuff in the darkroom!
But I do know what you mean about chaos; for the six months or more it took
to build my darkroom, the basement was a hellish jumble, and it drove me
nuts.  Thank god that's over.

Cheers,
\d

P.s.  Had a quick look on f32, but didn't see anything new.