[LargeFormat] Turner Reich Orange Filters

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 13 11:22:46 2001

At 12:26 09/06/01 -0700, Les Newcomer wrote:
>Clive I pulled my Kodak filters publication B-3 out and looked at some
>filter graphs
>
>The standard #8  yellow cuts out at 460nm and has 100% transmission  by 520nm
>

>The # 12 is a Deep yellow and cuts out about 490nm and opens up at 540nm
>  This is also called a minus blue filter.
>
>#15 is a deepr yellow than a 12 with the numbers shifting to 510 and 560
>
>#16 is a light orange with a steeper cut off than a 15  520 and 560
>

>#21 is an Orange filter with cutoffs points of 540 and 580
>
>#22 is deep orange with cut off points at 550 and 600
>
>You can see that as you progress from a #8 to a #22 you are simply
>absorbing more blue and green light.
>
>Since most of the films from the early 20th c. were very blue biased I
>have to wonder if TR didn't over prescribe the yellow filter so
>customers would get more dramatic effects, thus claiming TR lenses to be
>better.

Les,

Thank you very much for the filter information - the cut off values are
very useful.

You may well be right about the TR strategies for sales - but I bet the
lenses are not APO so will probably need some filtering to improve their
performance.

I EMailed Ken off the list and he uses the filters supplied with the
lenses.  He did make some suggestions as to a modern equivalent.

Am tempted to try out a #12 as I happen to have one of those sitting around
for use with Kodak EIR film.

All that's needed is some spare time to drag the camera out with the TR
lenses.  Have a couple that need testing.