[LargeFormat] Turner Reich Orange Filters

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 9 15:28:09 2001

Clive I pulled my Kodak filters publication B-3 out and looked at some
filter graphs

The standard #8  yellow cuts out at 460nm and has 100% transmission  by 520nm

The # 12 is a Deep yellow and cuts out about 490nm and opens up at 540nm
 This is also called a minus blue filter.

#15 is a deepr yellow than a 12 with the numbers shifting to 510 and 560

#16 is a light orange with a steeper cut off than a 15  520 and 560

#21 is an Orange filter with cutoffs points of 540 and 580

#22 is deep orange with cut off points at 550 and 600

You can see that as you progress from a #8 to a #22 you are simply
absorbing more blue and green light.

Since most of the films from the early 20th c. were very blue biased I
have to wonder if TR didn't over prescribe the yellow filter so
customers would get more dramatic effects, thus claiming TR lenses to be better.

Les