[LargeFormat] 65mm SA

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 7 15:04:03 2001

To paraphrase Hawkeye Pierce "This is meatball photography"  They don't
pay me enough to color balance the shots, so for the most part I base my
(time part of the) exposure on either; A) metering ambient light and
then adding a pop to open the shadows  or B) The time it takes the metz
to recharge on two or three pops.  It's amazing how often f16 @ 1 second
is the metered reading. The flash is hand held and un synchronized so I
can fire more than once.  and I keep my printer well stocked on Mylanta

I just delivered a photo of a filter bed that had 1) metal halide
(cyan/green) 2)mercury vapor (orange) and flash in it.  It was quite an
amuzing effect- sorta like shooting through a dichroic filter  :-)

My lastest job is for the clean side of the Water and Sewer Dept. It
intailed going into underground rooms full of pipes and a large water
meter and take pre construction photographs, while it would have been
fun to shoot 4x5 and flash bulbs, it was faster with a Hassy SWC and my
Metz. The hazard with this was that the rooms at least damp (condensate
dripping off the ceiling) and sometimes flooded ( I told them I don't
have scuba gear, you gotta pump it down to a max of 1 foot) After trying
several different camera cases and vests, I finally settle on a couple
of 5 gallon pickle buckets. One for the SWC, one for the Metz and a
bogen super arm with a QR plate.

Les