[LargeFormat] Greetings and questions.

John largeformat@f32.net
Thu Apr 26 18:04:08 2001

Hello,

Since several have 'complained' of a quiet list, I thought I would take this
opportunity to come out of lurking mode.  And ask for some advice.  First,
a little about me:  By day I'm a computer manager, but in real life I'm a part-time
nature photographer - I do make a llittle money from my photography but not quite
enough to make it a career yet.  I shoot with Canon EOS equipment, but really want
to get into LF.

I want to shoot in four areas (all four about equally as much)

Color landscape
B & W lanscape and alternative process
Fine Art Portraiture
Macro (nature closeups)

I like precision, but I DO NOT like to fiddle with things - ie I wont like
an un-rigid camera.  Or a lock that wont stay, or zero detents that wont
allow small adjustments, etc.

I think I would prefer a lighter monorail over a field camera, but weight isn't
all that important to me - I'm in decent shape.  I just want something reliable,
sturdy, precise and a joy to use in the areas mentioned above.

With my 35mm stuff, I prefer my 17-35mm (usually on the 17mm side) to
the 400mm.  I can't get enough of those wide angle landscapes!  So wide
angle capabilities are a must plus, I'd like to try those panoramic roll film adapters.

Some of the cameras that I have looked at so far and have found attractive:

Arca Swiss, Sinar, Toyo GX/VX125 and Kardan (That Master looks nice!!! but the price, ouch)
	- the system cameras that will allow you to expand to 8 x 10.

Canham DLC
Wista 4x5 SP Technical - rear focus and 5x7 back option!
Wisner Expedition, Technical

There are so many options.  I basically clueless as to the operation (Ipm familiar with the principle tho)
 of these cameras, my local photo stores don't have anything for test drives and there aren't many
LF shooters in town.

I'm purposefully not giving a dollar range as I don't want to limit myself by that too much - if I don't
have the cash I can wait if the camera is worth it.  But on the other hand I can't see me buying
a P2 right off the bat either.

So, given these guidlines, what would you guys recommend?

This is getting long so I'd better close with that.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input!

John