[LargeFormat] Regarding Planning for LF

Verna Knapp largeformat@f32.net
Wed Apr 4 11:36:05 2001

I'll put in a plug for the Canham cameras. I have both the DLC45 and
the MQC57. Got the 5x7 two years after the 4x5. Didn't even
consider any other brand, I liked the 4x5 so well. The 5x7 is
now my favorite camera, though there were some complications. I
had to rearrange the backpack, and my wide angle lens didn't cover.
All my other lenses cover fine.

The biggest complication is that I work entirely in color. Film
Fuji from Badger. However, I found that color enlargers for 5x7 are
hard to find in the US, and expensive. I finally got a good Durst
on ebay.

I have a Nikkor telephoto ED 720 which has an exchangeable 500 element.
Big piece of glass, but not nearly so heavy as the 800, and does not
cover 8x10. Covers 5x7 just fine. I got mine used. Yes, I carry all
this in my pack. However, I'm seriously considering getting the
Fuji 450mm f12.5 and letting it cover the long end. And leave the
wide angle at home, as well, as I rarely use it on the trail. My
favorite lens is a Rodenstock 360.

The Canham has 28" of bellows draw. Both of them do. I'm fond of
long lenses.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Canham cameras. My 4x5 required
service once, and Keith Canham gave me fast, courteous, excellent
service. There is a reason they are rarely available used. People
who have them hang on to them.

Verna Knapp