[LargeFormat] Planning Advice

Pam Niedermayer largeformat@f32.net
Tue Apr 3 19:30:30 2001

Douglas Cooper wrote:

> On 4/3/01 5:17 PM, Pam Niedermayer expressed the following:
>
> > I hated the Speed Graphic, tore it apart for parts within two weeks of
> > receiving it.
> >

> It's an odd camera, to be sure, but I think it is very much the Poor Man's
> Linhof.  Nice to have a rangefinder -- I'm thinking of doing some
> Weegee-style street shooting.  But I can see finding it a bit unwieldy.  The
> movements are pretty bizarre -- you pretty much need Gandy's article at
> cameraquest.com in order to figure out front shift, for instance.

For this type of shooting I got a Stroboframe, mounted the Gowland on
it, removed most of the Stroboframe (everything except the frame
itself) - perfect. And since I'm using the same quick release for
everything, I can even use it on a Bogen monopod I carry around.

> > I plan to attach (probably glue) a little slot onto the back of the
> > lens, have the top of it hinged so I can interchange bag and normal
> > and still have it light tight.
>
> Okay, maybe I'm thick today, but I can't for the life of me visualize this!
> (And am quite interested in having this done.)

Think of a square filter holder into which you drop the filters, add a
hinged top to block out all the light, a form glued to the front of
the bag that slides into the holder, then you close the hinge. For the
rear standard I just need to cut a form that matches the existing one
on the regular bellows.

Pam

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer